- Afghanistan: we're still there, although we say we are leaving.
- Syria: the civil war continues.
- Iran: they are still developing a nuclear capability. Economic sanctions are hurting the people, but there's little indication that sanctions have hindered the nuclear program.
- the Arab spring: we could and should have been out front to help. Instead we were perceived as disinterested and timid.
- Mexico: there is no progress on immigration. Meanwhile, Mexican drug lords with a propensity for extreme violence have flourished by virtue of sales and production in the USA.
- Palestine: status quo.
- Cuba: status quo while we wait for Castro to die.
- Venezuela: status quo while we wait for Chavez to die.
- North Korea: status quo, but Kim Jong-il did die.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
Treading water when we shouldn't be
President Obama's first term mainly attended to domestic issues like the recession and healthcare. I supported his reelection, but aside from killing Osama bin Laden the Obama administration accomplished little in foreign affairs during four years.
at 11:46 PM