As for attending a PGA tour event, I've done that only once. I followed Tom Watson around for most of a day. What I remember most was the absolutely precise "ping" I heard every time he teed off. Otherwise the day was not exciting.
But did I watch the final holes of the Masters on TV today? Definitely, for a number of reasons:
- The spring scenery is luscious.
- The commentary is first-rate and varied.
- The particularities of each hole are a factor.
- The field is international.
- Young guys, guys in their prime, and old guys compete on an almost-level basis.
- Although the golfers are more athletic and larger these days, it's still a sport that offers smaller guys a chance.
- You don't have to watch commercials for Bud Lite or Doritos.