If you rely on News Feed in Facebook to find my posts, you're missing most of them. On average, only 16% of updates in Facebook make it into News Feeds. Let me suggest that you subscribe to me in Facebook, follow me on Twitter (@ccengct), or use an RSS reader.

Readers in the European Union are advised that I don't collect personal data, but the same cannot be said of Google.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

40 years of The Godfather

The AMC cable channel is promoting the 40th anniversary of the release of The Godfather. It's a self-serving promotion, of course, but I agree with the concept.

To me the film is still fresh and interesting, even though I've seen parts of it at least 100 times -- to the point where I've got a lot of the dialog memorized. My wife doesn't share the fascination, but my sons do. It's a guy thing, I suppose.

The genre of gangster films, however, doesn't interest me. It's this specific film. Nor am I equally captivated by the Godfather sequels. What is it about The Godfather that's so great? Just about everything: the character definition, the plot, the scenery and sets, the casting, the music, the dialog, the acting, the photography...

Although the film is on everyone's top-five list, it isn't perfect. IMDB shows about 100 goofs. Even finding the goofs, however, has become a sport.

Financially, The Godfather has generated over $250 million in revenue against a $6 million production budget. It saved Paramount Pictures, and it propelled the careers of names you know (e.g. Diane Keaton) and names you might not (e.g. Peter Bart). Culturally it opened a decade of blockbuster films (e.g. Jaws) and repositioned the entire film industry after a very trying 25 years -- the end of the studio system, the advent of television, and the demise of the Motion Picture Production Code.

A magnificent achievement, and one I hope to enjoy for years to come.