If you rely on News Feed in Facebook to find my posts, you're missing most of them. On average, only 16% of updates in Facebook make it into News Feeds. Let me suggest that you subscribe to me in Facebook, follow me on Twitter (@ccengct), or use an RSS reader.

Readers in the European Union are advised that I don't collect personal data, but the same cannot be said of Google.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

The single most beautiful piece of music is...

The second movement, Largo, from Symphony No. 9, From the New World, Antonín Dvořák, 1893.

I admit it's a conventional choice. Why do I think so?

  • It lifts my spirit although I've heard it hundreds of times and still listen to it nearly every week.
  • In the space of only 12 minutes, it showcases almost every major aspect of classical music: changes in tempo, changes in dynamics, brass, woodwinds, strings (including a bass pizzicato), just enough percussion, solos, a trio, happy moments, delicate moments, somber moments, quiet moments, a comprehensible structure, and the harmonies of the opening four bars.
  • I clearly remember hearing it for the first time -- on an FM radio.
  • Without this piece, could there have been Aaron Copland?
Other nominations are welcome, but I've set the bar very high. And by the way, it's a coincidence that I resemble the New York Philharmonic violinist (Kenneth Gordon, now retired?) in the fourth row.