If you rely on News Feed in Facebook to find my posts, you're missing most of them. On average, only 16% of updates in Facebook make it into News Feeds. Let me suggest that you subscribe to me in Facebook, follow me on Twitter (@ccengct), or use an RSS reader.

Readers in the European Union are advised that I don't collect personal data, but the same cannot be said of Google.

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Can today's popular singers sing?

My wife's family ran across this video.

My hearing isn't what it used to be, but that's very close to perfect pitch a cappella. He also shows extraordinary rhythm, diction, range, and expressiveness.

I don't want to be a sour old fart who whines that nothing today is as good as it used to be. But I believe it's fair to ask, can today's popular singers sing? There is so much assistive technology in modern singing these days that I can't imagine many performers would have the nerve to be recorded doing what Marvin Gaye did. Of course, these days it's not necessary for singers to do what Gaye did — so perhaps it's an unfair comparison. What matters now is a combination of fashion, lifestyle management, mastery of social networking, etc. Taylor Swift appears to be really good at those things, although I think she can sing reasonably well... but she's no Mariah Carey or a Sheryl Crow.

Amy Winehouse and Pharrell Williams? Maybe. Otherwise, when I look at the winners of Grammys for Best New Artist, the list has been bleak since Norah Jones in 2003.